A Tax Free Savings Account can be an important tool for you in maximizing your Net Income in retirement.
Why your Net Income? Because unlike an RRSP, with a Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA), you don't pay tax on the amount that you have invested -- or any growth in your investments over the years.
The TFSA has been available to Canadians since 2009.
How it works:
- You have to be 18 or older
- If you've never contributed to a Tax Free Savings Account, you will have up to $63,500 (2019) in unused contribution room that you can contribute. (It's currently $5,500 per year but has been as high as $10,000 per year in the past.) And it carries forward if you don't use it.
- You don't get a tax deduction (like you do with an RRSP) but you don't pay tax when you withdraw from the plan.
Some key features:
- The TFSA allows for lifetime contributions with no requirements to withdraw at a certain age. This is different from an RRSP, which has a maximum age of 71. Contributions can be made monthly or lump sum throughout the year.
- Any unused contribution room will carry forward indefinitely. Any amounts an individual withdraws from a TFSA in a given year will be added to his or her TFSA contribution room for the following year.
- The TFSA is a great addition to other registered savings options (ie: RRSP, RESP). They will be particularly attractive to members of any existing pension plan. , because the increasing pension adjustment each year continually erodes personal RRSP contribution limits for pension plan members.
Contact us today to take advantage of growing your investments tax free through a TFSA.
Mutual Funds are distributed through Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. (DFS Investments)
Mutual Funds are a basket of products (stocks, bonds, cash holdings, etc.) that are professionally managed, allowing diversification, liquidity and flexibility.
Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA)
Planning on saving some extra money for a purchase in the near future? Lean how a tax free savings account can help you grow your nest egg.